Sunday, April 19, 2009

Across the River

I set my sights
across the river.
I know my dreams,
and prayers will be delivered.

At night I sit
on the rooftop,
gargoyles and cherubs
my only friends.

I breathe the air
from across the river,
the stirring in my stomach
never ends.

I’ve seen those people
across the river
seen their towers
that scrape the sky.

I want to be
with those people
across the river
I cannot lie.

To meet those people
across the river blue,
to visit their museums
and act as the educated do.

To dance in ballrooms
people swept across the floor.
To take stolen glances
and find the one I adore.

They’re across the river
so we’ve yet to meet
but once I cross that river
my heart will be complete.

Yes, one day I’ll cross that river.
The Rubicon will fall.
Just need to get off this rooftop.
That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment