Friday, May 07, 2010

Airport Rendezvous

I am a weary traveler

Been in the air all night.

Gathered up my carry on;

Had to wait for another flight.


Sat in the terminal

with a coffee in my hand.

Noticed one guy I was flying with,

his face was kind of bland.


Now the place was pretty empty.

No crowds. No noise. How rare.

Felt like I could die

and no one would really care.


The bland guy with the glasses

really looked a wreck.

I couldn’t believe what he was doing;

Putting a tie around his neck.


This guy stood taller with each moment.

He re-tucked his shirt and pulled lint from his coat.

Pulled a card from his briefcase;

Wish I saw what he had wrote.


He scanned the crowd intently

and wandered from the gate.

I’d seen that look before,

like a man waiting for his date.


As if on cue he began to beam

all blandness had left his face.

It took only an instant but in that instant

he was transformed to another place.


I followed the direction of his gaze.

She too was radiant in her boots and black knit dress;

and a smile that competed with the rays of dawn.

“Is that you?” he asked, and she cried out, “Yes!”


They tangled themselves into an embrace

that lasted longer than the flight, it seemed.

Then they kissed, without remorse and I heard him whisper,

“You’re everything I’ve dreamed.”

Now I’m a weary traveler

but I only think of you.

And like that guy,

I dream of an airport rendezvous.

No comments:

Post a Comment