Sunday, January 24, 2010

Are You There?

Are you there,

Typing through the night?

Are you there,

Keys glowing in blue light?


Can you imagine

Do you give it any thought

That I too am typing

When maybe I ought not?


For the morning gray

Sits across the horizon to the east

And I’ve functions to attend to

Though none interest me in the least.


We could speak of adventures

Of the travels you’ve taken.

Of the hearts you’ve run into

And one’s you’ve forsaken.


We could talk of your vocation

Your studies and knowledge now gained,

And of the poems you write for others

And how much they’ve pained.


Should we reminisce of evenings

When we left things unspoken?

Dare discuss old promises

Long since broken?


Tell me of your dinners

And those you’ve entertained

Speak of fine wine and chocolate

Or how hard it recently rained.


And what of your lover

Who rests in the nearby bed?

You know, the one who fulfills you

And keeps your passions well fed?


At times you consume me

With mystery and doubt.

Both qualities you wear often

But never wear-out.

1 comment: